Why It's Okay to Give High Ratings

Thursday, April 14, 2016
I've seen a lot of people talking about how they don't trust reviewers who never rate books below three stars. In a way, I can understand where they're coming from. If someone likes every single book they read, how can we know whether books are truly good quality or not?

I myself used to be one of those people who was afraid to give ratings below three stars in fear that I would offend people. I'm not like that anymore, and as my 1-year blogoversary fast approaches, I find myself becoming much more critical of books I may have given 4 or 5 stars on a whim in the past. You may be thinking that it means you'd find more low-rating reviews from me, but that doesn't seem to be the case. And here's why: I am much more selective with the books I read.

Truth be told, I used to have an enormous TBR. I still have a ton of books I haven't read yet and many more I am eagerly anticipating, but I've started to focus on reading more of the books I've been dying to read rather than the ones I might be slightly intrigued by. There's only so much time to read, and I want to make the most of it.

A few months ago, I made the mistake of picking up a book that didn't interest me that much but had received really good reviews from some of my friends, and I ended up not falling in love with it. In fact, I didn't even finish it. Although I know some people give low ratings to books they did not finish, I knew there were plenty of components in the book that other people would love and felt awkward giving it a rating when I didn't even read the whole thing.

I choose books I want to read. So is it my fault if I fall head-over-heels in love with it? It's not like I'm being any less honest; I just choose not to read books that don't interest me. If I don't like a book, I don't usually finish it. And personally, I feel like it's unfair to rate an unfinished book because there's always that sliver of a chance that it gets better. I don't mind sharing my opinions about why I didn't finish a book in case others might dislike the same things, but I don't find it necessary to rate it. Then again, maybe that's just me.

Now, I'm not saying I will never post reviews for books I DNF'd or ended up disliking, but I honestly don't understand why people would even bother reading a book they hate. There are so many books out there to read and enjoy.

So, I'll turn it over to you, my dear readers. What do you think? Do you not trust reviewers who never give low ratings? Are you selective about which books you choose to read and/or review?


4 comments :

  1. You're amazing, did you know that? This post was so relatable and gave me a little comfort. I give books pretty high ratings. I usually think that's because I buy books that I'm truly interested in reading and if there even is one slight spark of hesitation, I won't pick it up. Thanks so much grll and you've totally put my mind at ease.

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank goodness! I feel the same way. I pick up books I want to read so for the most part I have an idea that it will be right up my alley. I know what I like and my ratings reflect that. I will say that blogging has made me more critical of the books I read but I only occasionally pick up something I'm not sure about. Plus I rarely DNF anything. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I totally understand! I mean, sometimes I do get out of my comfort zone and that's when ratings tend to drop, but other times I just have 4/5 stars after 4/5 stars and it's only because I'm picking books my trusted friends have recommended, or I'm super interested in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I totally agree! I honestly just rate books as to how I think they deserve it these days, without caring if I just gave a ton of other books with the same rating or not. If I liked the book, why should I lie?

    Plus, I also relate to the fact that I read more books I've always wanted to read instead of books that just sucked me in because of hype. Yes, these kinds of books tend to have a much higher rating from me than others, but then again, it's my opinion, and it's my blog, so I'll just rate books by how I think it deserves. *shrugs*

    Great post, Alexandra!

    ReplyDelete