The Geography of You and Me (Review) - Starry-Covered but Bleary-Eyed

Friday, August 5, 2016
The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith
Genre: Young Adult/Contemporary
Page Length: 337 (hardcover)
Format: Hardcover
Publisher: Poppy

About The Geography of You and Me 
(via Goodreads):

Lucy and Owen meet somewhere between the tenth and eleventh floors of a New York City apartment building, on an elevator rendered useless by a citywide blackout. After they’re rescued, they spend a single night together, wandering the darkened streets and marveling at the rare appearance of stars above Manhattan. But once the power is restored, so is reality. Lucy soon moves to Edinburgh with her parents, while Owen heads out west with his father.

Lucy and Owen’s relationship plays out across the globe as they stay in touch through postcards, occasional e-mails, and—finally—a reunion in the city where they first met.

A carefully charted map of a long-distance relationship, Jennifer E. Smith’s new novel shows that the center of the world isn't necessarily a place. It can be a person, too.
I suppose I should’ve seen it coming when I admitted to myself that I was buying this book solely for the cover that I wouldn't end up enjoying it. Although for $6, it was a pretty decent deal.

The cover? It’s a gorgeous thing. Screams “cute” and “fluffy” and a goddammed cavity.

Another hint that this book isn’t exactly my type.

My fault, then.

This book is an okay story. But that’s just it. Okay. Not “great,” not “lovely,” just a simple “meh.” I mean, I got into it for the first couple of chapters, but not long after that, I began to skim. Skim being skipping over paragraphs and paragraphs, rapidly flipping and flipping and flipping hoping that something, anything happens before I sadly mark this book as a DNF.

This book is strongly mediocre. Strongly, I tell you. There is nothing that makes it stand out, nothing to make it have that ‘pop,’ that something to evoke any memories of Lucy and Owen or any of the meh adventures they’ve been through. Not much is going for it, which is a shame because I really like that cover.

(It’s always about the covers with you, isn’t it, Claudia?)

Yep. #NoShame.

It’s been, what, a couple of days since I last read it? And even now, I’m struggling to remember the detail. What was the main conflict? Something pretty mellow, that’s all I can say. The characters? Unremarkable in every way. Lucy is just that girl with disappearing parents, Owen is just that boy who has something sad in his past. You could apply this to half a dozen characters.

Jennifer E. Smith is one of those big names in contemporary, and chances are you’ve seen some of her books. Don’t let this review dissuade you from reading it, though. I’m going to try out the rest of her novels, too - partially because I’m in need for some sugar-sweet romance.

my rating: dnf


2 comments :

  1. This is my first Jennifer E. Smith book, and I have to admit I also find it a very mediocre read. It started out pretty cute, with the whole blackout thing. But it just went downhill after that, it's just really boring and the characters don't really stand out to me. I hope your next read would be better!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I'm sad you feel that way! :(
    I read another book by Jennifer E. Smith - The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight I think?
    Whilst I didn't mind reading it at the time, it was a pretty forgettable book - because yeah, I pretty much skimmed through it too! :/
    Hopefully you find a better read soon! <3

    ReplyDelete