Blind Date with a Book

Thursday, September 8, 2016

This post is way overdue. Oops. Anyway, last month, I was at Books of Wonder for a signing when I stumbled across this (okay, so maybe I knew it was there and scouted it out but whatever). I've seen these "blind date with a book" things mentioned online a few times, and have seen Etsy shops offering the services, but I'd never come face to face with one in real life until last month.

Anyway, I've always thought it was a unique and fun idea, so I wanted to try it! And now, I'm going to share my brief experience.


So for those of you who don't know what a blind date with a book is, basically books are covered in brown paper (or I guess it doesn't have to be brown paper but that's the typical way it's done) and there's a brief, more vague description than the actual synopsis of the book written on it (as you can sort of see in the photo). So you don't really know what you're getting and can't judge a book by its cover.

So anyway, I looked through the books and this one caught my eye:


Although the description sounded vaguely familiar (and my friend Izzy had her suspicions about what book it would be), I knew I hadn't read it and decided to buy it. I guess the biggest issue with these things is that if the description is too vague, you might end up with a book you already have.

Fortunately for me, I picked well and got Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen! It's been on my TBR for too long now, and I don't think I would have otherwise picked it up on my own, so I'm happy with my blind date. I would have preferred to share my thoughts about blind dating books after I read Scarlet, but my reading schedule is in need of repair right now, so I guess that will have to wait. Maybe I'll do a follow up review in the future to let you all know how the date officially went ;)

Anyway, I honestly think blind dating books is a fabulous idea! I understand there is some risk in doing it, since there could be mislabeling or repeats of books we already own, but I think it's a great way for people to step outside of their comfort zones and take chances with books we may not have decided to read otherwise!


1 comment :

  1. I also think this is an AMAZING idea and more bookstores should implement this. I think it would also be cool if libraries did this kind of thing as well, maybe wrap the book so only the barcode is showing? Hahah. Anyways, glad you got a book that was new to your bookshelf! I hope your date goes well lol

    ReplyDelete