2015 End of the Year Survey

Thursday, December 31, 2015
This survey is hosted by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page Turner, and it highlights your bookish and blogging year. I saw it on Rachel's blog (A Perfection Called Books) and thought it looked like a good way to wrap up the year.

~2015 Reading Stats~

Number of Books You Read: 54
Number of Re-Reads: 1
Genre You Read the Most From: fantasy

~Best in Books~

1. Best Book You Read in 2015?

Contemporary: All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
Fantasy: The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
Sci-Fi: Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff


2. Book You Were Excited About and Thought You Would Love But Didn't?

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard or To All The Boys I Loved Before by Jenny Han (I didn't hate them, but I didn't like them as much as I thought I would)

3. Most Surprising (in a good or bad way) Book You Read?

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas or Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoffboth in a good way!

4. Book You "Pushed" the Most People to Read (and they did)?

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh, although I'm pretty sure most people didn't need me pushing it on them since it has such high (and well-deserved) praise.

5. Best Series You Started in 2015? Best Sequel of 2015? Best Ender of 2015?

Series Starter: The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
Sequel: The Rose Society by Marie Lu
Series Ender: Endure by Sara B. Larson


6. Favorite New Author You Discovered in 2015?

Renee Ahdieh and Sabaa Tahir

7. Best Book From A Genre You Don't Typically Read/Was Out of Your Comfort Zone?

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

8. Most Action-Packed/Thrilling/Unputdownable Book of the Year?

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

9. Book You Read in 2015 that You Are Most Likely to Re-read Next Year?

I don't normally re-read books (as seen in my reading stats above), so I don't really have any re-reading plans for 2016.

10. Favorite Cover of a Book You Read in 2015?

Endure by Sara B. Larson (photos don't even do it justice)


11. Most Memorable Character of 2015?

Magiano from The Rose Society. He is so quirky and delightful to read about, and he has somehow managed to make his way into my extremely elite list of book boyfriends (current member count: 7)

12. Most Beautifully Written Book Read in 2015?

Definitely The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh. That book was absolutely stunning.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/Life-Changing Book of 2015?

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven or The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

14. Book You Can't Believe You Waited Until 2015 to Finally Read?

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From a Book You Read in 2015?

“Some things exist in our lives for but a brief moment. And we must let them go on to light another sky.” Renee Ahdieh, The Wrath and the Dawn

16. Shortest and Longest Books You Read in 2015?

Shortest: The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway (128 pages)
Longest: Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff (599 pages)

17. Book that Shocked You the Most?

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

18. OTP of the Year (you will go down with this ship!)

Shazi and Khalid (The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh)

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship of the Year?

Enzo and Raffaele (The Young Elites by Marie Lu)

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2015 From an Author You've Read Previously?

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas, A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas, or The Young Elites / The Rose Society by Marie Lu

21. Best Book You Read in 2015 Based SOLELY on a Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure?

I don't really think anyone pressured me into reading anything. I mean, there were people strongly suggesting that I read Crown of Midnight, but I would have picked it up anyway. They catalyzed my reading of the book more than they peer pressured me into reading it.

22. Newest Fictional Crush From a Book You Read in 2015?

Khalid (The Wrath and the Dawn), Enzo (The Young Elites), Magiano (The Rose Society)

23. Best 2015 Debut You Read?

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh

25. Book that Put a Smile on Your Face/Was the Most FUN to Read?

The Amazing Book is Not on Fire by Dan Howell and Phil Lester

26. Book that Made You Cry/Nearly Cry in 2015?

Ummm... more than five books I read this year made me cry. But I absolutely BAWLED when I read All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven. No shame.

27. Hidden Gem of the Year?

This book was published over twenty years ago, but I read A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines over the summer for summer reading, and was so glad I discovered it

28. Book that Crushed Your Soul?

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

29. Most Unique Book You Read in 2015?

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

30. Book that Made You the Most Mad (doesn't necessarily mean you didn't like it)?

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe or A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines



~Your Blogging/Bookish Stats~

1. New Favorite Book Blog You Discovered in 2015?

Since I just started blogging this year, I discovered so many amazing blogs, so I can't choose!

2. Favorite Review You Wrote in 2015?

Probably my review for An Ember in the Ashes since it was really fun to write and it was my first review I posted on my blog!

I also really loved my review for Red Queen since it was my first GIF review, which ended up being somewhat of a normal review. I didn't realize how much GIFs could help spark ideas for what I wanted to write!

3. Best Discussion/Non-review Post You Had on Your Blog?

On Reading in Order (Whether It is a Series or Not)

4. Best Event that You Participated In (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

BookCon 2015!

5. Best Moment of Bookish/Blogging Life of 2015?

Creating Project Serendipity with Claire, Aila and Ava and seeing how many and how quickly everyone signed up! We ended up having 70 people sign up, which is absolutely crazy! I definitely have to give credit to Claire for coming up with the fantastic idea.

6. Most Challenging Thing About Blogging or Your Reading Life This Year?

Definitely juggling school, reading, and blogging. So much to do, so little time to do it.

7. Most Popular Blog Post This Year on Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

Project Serendipity (121 views)

8. Post You Wish Got a Little More Love?

A Court of Thorns and Roses (Review)

9. Best Bookish Discover (book related sites, bookstores, etc.)

BookedYouUp (Etsy), Happy Hello Co. (Etsy), Evie Seo (Society 6), The Strand (Bookstore)

10. Did You Complete Any Reading Challenges or Goals that You had Set For Yourself at the Beginning of This Year?

No, not really. I "completed" my Goodreads challenge, but probably half of the books I counted were manga or Wattpad stories. Not that I have anything against manga and Wattpad (I actually love it), but they are much quicker reads than a normal novel would be. And I signed up for a ton of other challenges that I failed miserably, but it's okay. I'll do better in 2016.



~Looking Ahead~

1. One Book You Didn't Get to in 2015 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2016?

There are so many, but if I have to choose one, I'd say Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. I was really looking forward to reading it, but never got around to it.


2. Book You are Most Anticipating For 2016 (non-debut)?

Truthwitch by Susan Dennard and Passenger by Alexandra Bracken


3. 2016 Debut You are Most Anticipating?

I couldn't narrow it down to just one, but my Top Three are probably The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig, The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi, and The Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye!


4. Series Ending/a Sequel You are Most Anticipating in 2016?

The Rose and the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh and Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

5. One Thing You Hope to Accomplish or Do in Your Reading/Blogging Life in 2016?

Read more! I'm aiming for 75 books for 2016, even though I just scraped the 50-book mark for this year. I have big aspirations for the new year.

6. A 2016 Release You've Already Read & Recommend to Everyone?

The only 2016 release I've read so far is Reign of Shadows by Sophie Jordan. It's definitely a unique take on a classic fairytale, so I'd definitely recommend it!


8 comments :

  1. It looks as if 2015 was a great year for you! I'm also looking forward to Truthwitch, though I'm a little nervous that it's been SO hyped that my expectations will be way out of proportion and I'll end up disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree with you. The hype has been INSANE. But Susan is one of my favorite authors ever, so I'm hoping the hype doesn't affect my love of her books too much.

      Delete
  2. There are so many 2016 debuts that I am eagerly anticipating. The Girl from Everywhere and The Crown's Game are definitely at the top of my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! 2015 seemed like an amazing year (and it definitely was, book-wise), but 2016 appears to have some amazing books coming out!

      Delete
  3. Wow, great 2015 reading year! I'm looking forward to The Crown's Game and The Girl From Everywhere, too. In fact, I'm hoping to preorder TGFE! I'm aiming for 75 books as well so good luck to the both of us.

    Jess @Princessica of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! I'm definitely super excited for TGFE and TCG and might end up preordering them as well. Good luck with your reading challenge! :D

      Delete
  4. I basically chose the same books for all of my answers and I thought I might be alone in this but I see Illuminae up there a ton! I definitely agree that The Rose Society was an AMAZING sequel :) Also, congrats on the success of your Project Serendipity! That's fantastic!

    Molly's Book Nook 2015 End of Year Book Survey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Molly!! :D And YES Illuminae and The Rose Society were fantastic reads :) And yay for not being alone in bookish opinions :) Happy New Year! <3

      Delete