Endure (Review)

Saturday, January 2, 2016
Endure by Sara B. Larson
Series: Defy trilogy #3
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy
Page Length: 320 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Format: Hardcover (purchased)

Date Read: December 29

About Endure (via Goodreads):

The remarkable third novel in Sara B. Larson's bestselling Defy series!

At last, Alexa and King Damian are engaged to be married. But their lives are far from safe. The kingdom of Antion is under siege, and Rylan is a prisoner of the enemy. Even worse, Alexa remains at the mercy of the evil Dansiian Rafe, who controls her mind and can force Alexa to kill or harm Damian at any moment. Despite this, Alexa is determined to rescue Rylan, which soon leads her far from Damian and deep into enemy territory.

When she arrives, what awaits her is deadlier than anything she could have ever imagined: an army of black sorcerers, and a horrifying plot to destroy the world as Alexa knows it. Will she be able to gather the strength to free herself, protect the love of her life, and save the land? Will there ever be true peace?

Acclaimed author Sara B. Larson has woven a stunning, romantic, and evocative finale to the Defy trilogy, that is sure to leave readers breathless until the very last page.
Endure was an epic conclusion to one of my favorite series. In fact, it's the first book I've read in a while that I wanted to (and had the time to) devour in one day. There was so much heartbreak and loss, and there were so many gruesome and bloody things going on throughout the book, but there were also so many brilliant and beautiful things happening in the book that it all seemed to balance out in the end.

It was so heart-wrenching to watch Alexa and Damian separated throughout most of the novel, but whenever they were together, it was incredible. I've always loved their chemistry, and their relationship in Endure grows even stronger. I guess the saying "absence makes the heart grow fonder" really is true. Or maybe the fact that black sorcerers are trying to kill them both makes their relationship stronger because there's such a high chance that they'll lose each other. Perhaps both. Either way, the romance, despite how little there was in the final book, was absolutely beautiful. The immense love they have for each other is to-die for, and their love made me cheer for them even more throughout the book. I JUST WANTED TO SEE THEM HAVE THE HAPPILY EVER AFTER THEY DESERVED, OKAY?!?!?

The characters went through so much, but still managed to stay strong and pull through to the very end. Unless they died, of course. Because whenever there's an epic final battle, people are bound to die. Since I read Ignite (book 2) exactly a year ago, I had trouble remembering who some of the characters were, so when some of the important secondary characters died, I didn't feel as emotional as I probably should have...  Despite this, it was still really upsetting to see how much blood was shed throughout the book, and I admit I did cry when one character died. I love this series though, so I'll probably binge read them and maybe feel a deeper emotional connection to those lost in the battle. Ultimately my limited emotions for these characters did not impact my thoughts on the book.

From start to finish, the book was action packed and an emotional rollercoaster. There was so much to lose for some characters, and so much to gain for others (i.e. the villains). Speaking of the villains, they were CRAZY. They were some of the sketchiest, maddest characters I've ever met in YA, and their thirst for power was frightening. It was so interesting to go into enemy territory for the first time, but it was also so disturbing and grotesque. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, hoping that the characters would escape before it was too late and the world as they knew it fell apart.

All in all, Endure was a satisfying conclusion to a wonderful series. There were fantastic fight scenes,  a swoony romance, and a fast-paced and intense plot -- everything I could have wanted. I highly recommend this series and am looking forward to reading more Sara B. Larson books in the (hopefully) near future.

✪✪



6 comments :

  1. I haven't started this series yet, but after reading your review I can't wait to read it. I'm participating in the Flights of Fantasy reading challenge in 2016 and I will definitely add this to my tbr for that challenge. It sounds great, I love fantasy books with a good romance. Great Review!

    Sofia @ Bookish Wanderess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! I hope you'll love it as much as I do :D

      Delete
  2. I've heard so many great things about this series, so I'm so glad to hear that this was a satisfying conclusion. :) Can't wait to pick up the series for myself! Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Zoe! You definitely should give the series a try, and let me know when you do :D

      Delete
  3. I had never heard of this series until I saw your tweets about it. A YA fantasy? I may have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! I'm so glad you're going to check them out! They're really great books and I can't wait to hear what you think :D

      Delete