The Unpopular Opinions Book Tag

Sunday, February 14, 2016
Hey guys! I was recently tagged by the lovely Ranu @ The Araliya Bookshelf to do the Unpopular Opinions Book Tag!

A popular book or series you did not like?


Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it either. It seemed a bit too hyped and there were so many overused tropes and I was not surprised at all throughout all the twists and turns of the plot. I think I'll give Glass Sword a try anyway, but I'm not loving the series so far.


A popular book series that everyone hates but you like?


The Selection by Kiera Cass. I only read the first three (the original trilogy), and I can see where people are coming from in regard to some of the problems in the book, but I still really liked the series. I may not love the series as much if I read it now, but I still think I would enjoy it.



A love triangle where you didn't like who the main characters ended up with.


The Firelight trilogy by Sophie Jordan. The Matched trilogy by Ally Condie (just assuming it remains the same since I still haven't read the final book because I was so fed up with the relationship in book 2). Maybe I just have a grudge against a lot of forbidden romance love triangles. Who knows.

A popular genre you hardly ever read.

Contemporary. I used to love love love contemporary, but lately I just have not been reading any contemporaries. At all. In all seriousness though, I've only been consuming fantasy lately, with a splash of sci-fi.

A beloved character you hate.

I know I'm not the only one, but there are quite a few people who love him, so I'm just going to say it. I HATE CHAOL WESTFALL WITH EVERY FIBER OF MY BEING. I have this weirdly overwhelming grudge against him, okay? Don't question it.

A popular author you can't seem to get into

It's not as much I can't get into the author as much as it is I haven't had the chance to read the books since it's kind of a huge commitment. And by that, I mean Cassandra Clare books. Yes, I understand everyone loves them, and I did like the third or so of Clockwork Angel that I read several years back (before I had to put it down because I was overwhelmed with work), but since there are so many Shadowhunters books, I feel like if I start, I won't be able to stop, and I don't have the time for that right now. Also, Clockwork Angel was good, but I wasn't as intrigued and excited as I was hoping I would be.

A popular trope you're tired of reading?

LOVE TRIANGLES/POLYGONS. THEY NEED TO JUST MAKE UP THEIR MINDS ALREADY.

A popular series you have no interest in reading.

Twilight. I know some people are hardcore fans and others hate it, so I'm a tiny bit curious, but overall I don't actually have any interest in the book itself. Just the love/hate relationship with humanity it seems to possess.

A movie you liked better than the book.

Divergent. It's not that the movie was mind-blowing, but I wasn't a huge fan of the book, so the movie was more appealing to me.



10 comments :

  1. I'm in the same situation with contemporary! It used to be my most read genre, but now I never pick up a contemporary book, because fantasy has taken over my life!

    Sofia @ Bookish Wanderess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to say that I get bored with contemporary now, but I feel like it's a lot harder to find good contemporary, if that makes sense(?) I just think fantasy gives a nicer variety since most stories are so unique and special, and it can be hard to find that uniqueness in contemporaries sometimes.

      Delete
  2. I feel like I have been picking up contemporary books a liiiiiiittle bit more often than usual, but I still don't reach for them that often and never really have.

    I can't get into Cassandra Clare either. I read the mortal instruments series and that was entirely too much for me. If that had remained just a trilogy, I think I might feel A LOT differently about it than I do now. I'm just over her writing!

    I liked the Selection too. It wasn't amazing, but it was just kinda fun. Ever since I read that book, I have just been scratching my head over what the purpose of the rebels in that series was. I feel like they were just in there solely to blow something up every now and then.

    Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cyra! And I think I'll give Cassandra Clare's books a shot eventually, but they're not really on my TBR radar right now. There are just so many and there are so many other books I want to read! And I agree about The Selection! It was so much fun to read, but there were a lot of issues (like the rebels and international politics) that I would have loved to hear more about. They just seemed to just be a means to cause drama, but not more than that.

      Delete
  3. OMGG I so agree with all of these. I definitely didn't LOVE Red Queen. It was just so not original and kind of like all other fantasy books I've read. I'm just excited to read the second book because I'm just hoping it gets better. DON'T YOU WORRY YOUR LITTLE HEAD. I can't even read Cassandra Clare either. Her writing is so just ughhh boring and it makes me fall asleep. I feel like I've read the angel and demon thing everywhere and that's why her storyline doesn't interest me either.

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? I mean I didn't think my opinions were that unpopular, but I didn't think anyone would agree with so many. And I really hope Glass Sword gets better. Based on what I've heard, it doesn't get much better, but I guess I'll have to see. And I haven't actually read much angel/demon stuff, but it's just a huge investment of time and money to read Clare's books, and also they don't interest me thaaaat much in general, so maybe one day I'll read them, but it's hard to say.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I agree with almost everything you said actually! I DNF Red Queen because I didn't care about any of the characters. I also loved The Selection, it's really getting a lot of hate now for some reason.

    I actually enjoyed Twilight and also I feel it just gets all the hate because it became SO popular.

    Also, after Queen of Shadows I am NOT a Chaol fan. I LOVED him in Crown of Midnight but after everything that happened in HoF and QoS I'm totally over him. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only character I cared about was Cal, and that was very minimally. But yeah, for the most part I didn't feel attached to the characters that much at all. And I totally know what you mean (about The Selection). I think it's because it should have stayed a trilogy, but then they added those new ones with America's daughter and Eadlyn is apparently a brat *shrugs*

      I have nothing against Twilight and I don't think people should hate on Twilight fans, so I'm glad you liked Twilight! I have just never been a huge fan of vampire/werewolf/etc books. Actually, I've never been very interested in paranormal romance, for the most part.

      Oh really? I have always hated him. I mean, I warmed up to him in book 2 (a bit), but then everything went downhill. I still haven't read HoF or QoS, but I guess I'll have to see if my hatred grows even more in the next books.

      Delete
  5. AHH I'm so glad I read this post because we share opinions about some things and I thought I was alone.

    First, I cannot for the life of me understand Cassandra Clare's books. I've read City of Bones and I have read Clockwork Angel but I did not enjoy them at all. I almost wish I did because all my bookish friends love the books and then there's me, the black sheep. And I agree with the huge commitment thing, but for me I don't think it would be worth the investment.

    And I found myself really enjoying The Selection! It was such silly fun and idk, I liked it. I don't think it warrants the hate, because I don't even think it is a book that takes itself very seriously too.

    And I wouldn't bother about Twilight. I think with the time you could use to read Twilight, you could use it to read better written, better developed books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CW! I wish I liked Clare's books too, since so many people seem to love them. I don't really have anything against them, but I've never been much of a paranormal or urban fantasy fan in general either.

      I totally agree about The Selection too. I think it's not meant to be some brilliant novel, but rather like the concept suggests (I remember it being pitched as The Bachelor meets The Hunger Games, or something like that), sort of like a reality TV show. They aren't the best quality, but they're still enjoyable to watch (or in this case, read).

      Delete