Pokémon Go Book Tag

Thursday, July 21, 2016

The Pokémon Go Book Tag was created by the lovely Aentee @ Read at Midnight, and she tagged me to do it, and let me tell you, I AM SO EXCITED. I have been a fan of Pokémon for quite a while now, and my love for the game resurged since Pokémon Go came out this past month.

(Graphics created by Aentee)
Honestly, I don't know what book started my love of reading. I've just been a fan of books for my whole life thus far. However, I do recall enjoying certain series when I was younger, like the Sisters Grimm, the Warrior Cats, and the Percy Jackson books (although I'm still hoping to catch up on all the Rick Riordan books at some point in my lifetime).
I think I'm going to go with a manga with this one, and say Sailor Moon. If I'm being honest, I haven't  finished the series yet (only halfway done), but I know the general storyline and love what I've read so far.

Okay, so for this one I chose a series that I started, but I honestly can't see myself finishing. Everyone seems to love the Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard, but I just don't understand the hype at all.
So I have extremely mixed feelings about Carry On by Rainbow Rowell (rated it 3.5/5 stars), but at the same time I can't help but love it despite all its flaws. So I'm obviously not going to go into my problems with it right now, but I shipped Simon and Baz so hard and loved them to death. But to go back to the tropes part, the Carry On world is basically Harry Potter except a lot less expansive and (dare I say) nowhere near as creative.


Any Brandon Sanderson book could fit this criterium. I have especially been meaning to read The Way of Kings and I did read a few chapters, but it's the type of book you need a lot of time to read, not just because of size, but also because of how vast and intricate the world is.
The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner, for sure! I was so engrossed in the world that I stayed up late reading and sobbing and feeling all the feels.
My top 5 OTPs (out of many many ships) at the moment are probably Adelina/Magiano (I'm sorry, Enzo, I still love you!) from The Rose Society, Maya/Amar from The Star-Touched Queen, Shazi/Khalid from The Wrath and the Dawn, Clare/Aidan from Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between, and Charlotte/Jamie from A Study in Charlotte!
For this one, I'd definitely have to say A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro! The stakes were constantly rising, and I was always on the edge of my seat, worrying about what sticky situation the characters would end up in next.
To be honest, I haven't really read any spin-off series, but I guess I'll say Percy Jackson because I loved the original series and enjoyed The Lost Hero. I still need to catch up on a lot of the books, but I have faith that Rick Riordan is continuing to deliver with the spin-off series as well as he did with the original Percy Jackson books.
Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between by Jennifer E. Smith, for sure! I thought some of her other books were absolutely adorable and lovable and fun, but I was not expecting her newest one to be so fantastic. I felt all the feels I wasn't expecting to feel, and everything was so well done despite the fact that a great majority of the book took place in a single night.


100% Leigh Bardugo books. Despite the fact that people talk about her books all the time, I still can't wait to read the Grisha trilogy and the Six of Crows duology. As much as I hate overhyped books (especially when they disappoint), I don't think Leigh Bardugo's series will.
Okay, so this book hasn't even come out yet, but I wish I had the UK edition of Nevernight by Jay Kristoff with those glorious red-stained pages. It's just too beautiful not to want. Honestly, the book sounds so amazing on its own, but I am in love with the UK cover and stained pages *heart eyes*
So many! Especially Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller, Timekeeper by Tara Sim, Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones, Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco, Girl in Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow, Ever the Hunted by Erin Summerill, Blood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves, A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess, Caraval by Stephanie Garber, and The Reader by Traci Chee!
As of last year, my only auto-buy authors were Marie Lu, Jennifer Niven, and Susan Dennard, but this year I've read many books by some brilliant authors, so the list has expanded to include David Arnold, Jeff Zentner, Roshani Chokshi, and Laini Taylor.


Back in 2012, I read The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg. So I'm not sure if I'd love the book as much now as I did then, but let's just say when I read it four and a half years ago, I was obsessed. It's been four years now, and I've heard nothing about any new Jess Rothenberg books, and it makes me very sad. Especially because there's been this book on her Goodreads author page called "Baby" with legitimately zero information other than a title sitting there for the past four years. Not that the title is all that interesting or anything, but I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED and if she's ever going to write another book!

Thank you again for tagging me, Aentee! I'd like to tag Em @ Piplup's Shadowy Bookshelf and Cyra @ Rattle the Pages!

3 comments :

  1. I never get tired of seeing PJO spinoffs too! Rick Riordan can write really well, amuse me, and it's just a really fun experience to read his books ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU ON CARRY ON. Like I also loved Simon and Baz, but other than that, it was all just meh! And I'm sad! Because I love all of the author's other books!

    You must read The Way of Kings! I got through it by reading one or two chapters a night. IT'S POSSIBLE :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Valerie!!! I definitely will not give up hope when it comes to reading The Way of Kings :P And I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way about Carry On (even though I'm also sad because I wanted to love it!)

      Delete