Bloodlines (Review)

Friday, June 12, 2015

Bloodlines by Richelle Mead
Series: Bloodlines #1
Genre: Young Adult/Paranormal
Page Length: 422 pages
Format: Paperback (purchased)

I completely devoured Bloodlines by Richelle Mead.  Although I've been wary of vampire books, it staked out its role as a captivating read that deserves the praises it has received.  Once I sunk my teeth in, I couldn't stop reading.  There were a few minor things that drove me batty, but otherwise I have no biting remarks for the book.  (Sorry, I'll stop with these vampire puns.)


THE CHARACTERS

At first, I wasn't quite sure what to think of Sydney Sage.  My initial opinion of her at the beginning was that she would either be a complete brat or that she'd be a total badass.  Although I wouldn't truly consider her either of those things, she is a very strong character that I appreciate and loved learning more about.  I felt a connection to Sydney, unfortunately not because of her badassery (which I wish I possessed) but rather her awkwardness in social situations.  *Ahem.*  Anyway, Sydney Sage is not always an honest person, but she always has people's best interests at heart.  She was much more than the character I thought she would be, and I'm excited to continue with her through her journey.

Now on to the one and only Adrian Ivashkov *sighs dreamily*.  I loved everything about Mr. Ivashkov.  His snarkiness and caring personality were refreshing, although I did want to slap him into reality a few times as well.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I really enjoyed Bloodlines.  Although it was over 400 pages, it was a quick read that I read in less than a day.  The characters were intriguing and the plot was just fast enough that it was never boring to read.  There were quite a few plot twists, and although they were more obvious looking back, I somehow managed to be surprised by them.  I highly recommend Bloodlines, even to people who are wary of paranormal books—especially vampire books.

My Rating: ✪✪✪

About Bloodlines (via Goodreads):
Sydney belongs to a secret group who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the world of humans and vampires.
But when Sydney is torn from her bed in the middle of the night, she fears she's still being punished for her complicated alliance with dhampir Rose Hathaway. What unfolds is far worse. The sister of Moroi queen Lissa Dragomir is in mortal danger, and goes into hiding. Now Sydney must act as her protector.
The last thing Sydney wants is to be accused of sympathizing with vampires. And now she has to live with one... 
 

1 comment :