Why I Don't Reread + Thoughts of a First-Time Rereader

Thursday, June 25, 2015
I have never willingly reread a book before.  I recently decided, however, that I would break that habit.  I started rereading Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas a few days ago.  I know that I enjoyed the book when I first read it, yet enjoyment of a book alone does not usually cause me to pick it up again.  The only reason why I am rereading it is because I want to read Crown of Midnight (book 2) and Heir of Fire (book 3) for the first time before the fourth book, Queen of Shadows, comes out this fall.  Normally, I would just not care and pick up Crown of Midnight, but it has been 3 YEARS since I last dove into Celaena's story, and from what I can recall, it is not the simplest of stories to understand.  Although my love for Dorian has stayed with me, as well as my general understanding of the plot, a lot of the important details have left me and I want to slowly ease myself back into the Throne of Glass world.

The Main Reasons I Don't Reread:

1) I already know what happens so it is not as exciting and interesting
2) I am worried that I will not feel the same way about the book the second/third/fourth/etc. time around
3) See #2 except applied to my feelings/opinions about the characters
4) I have an overwhelming TBR as it is and it is a "waste of time" (for lack of a better term) to read something I've already read when I can read something new
5) After reading it the first time, I may have discovered a book/books that I liked better (so when I reread it, I will not enjoy it as much as the first time around/it will pale in comparison to other reads)

My Thoughts So Far

I am about 20 pages into my Throne of Glass reread.  I remember it taking some time for me to get engrossed in the Throne of Glass world the first time, so I guess that hasn't changed.  One thing that I believe has changed, however, is listed above as fear #3.  Although I did read Throne of Glass a long time ago, I feel as if I would remember if I disliked the characters, and I do not recall such a thing (other than my dislike for Chaol).  I know I shouldn't judge so early, however I am finding myself disliking all three of the main characters, including Dorian.  I am not surprised that I still do not like Chaol, but so far at least he's been pretty quiet.  On the other hand, I am extremely surprised by how pompous and annoying Dorian is being.  I know he is a prince and all, but something about his attitude just gets on my nerves.  Something about him, Chaol, and Celaena's attitudes, actually.  Each of them seem so high and mighty right now, and I do not like it one bit.

It may not have been the best idea to reread Throne of Glass right after reading A Court of Thorns and Roses, the first book in Sarah J. Maas' new series, but alas I did just read Maas' new book, and it was absolutely exquisite.  Unfortunately, after reading A Court of Thorns and Roses, I feel like Throne of Glass truly pales in comparison, thus proving fear #5 is something I legitimately should be afraid of.  I am still willing to dive back into Throne of Glass and the rest of the books in the series, but I am truly worried that it will not live up to my standards and previous enjoyment (I think I rated it a 4, 4.5 or 5 stars the first time).

I'll definitely make sure to share my final thoughts as soon as I finish, and I'd love to hear your opinions on rereading as well!

~Alexandra

Oh and also, although I'd been wanting to write this post anyway, I recently saw an awesome post about rereading books over at Publishing Crawl, a blog run by a bunch of awesome authors and industry professionals.   (They had nothing to do with my opinions on rereading or this post in general, but I figured I'd mention it because I love their blog and it was relevant to the theme of my post.  If you're interested, check out Julie Eshbaugh's post about rereading here.)

2 comments :

  1. Throne of Glass GETS BETTER!!!! Keep going, and read the newer books afterwards :D I love rereading. It really helps me get through reading slumps, and they just make me happy! :) Nice discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel!! And also thanks for sharing your thoughts :) I never thought about it as a way to get through reading slumps, but I guess picking up books you know you love can have its advantages. I'll definitely continue with it, and can't wait to catch up on the rest of the books :D

      Delete