Bookish Playlists - Paper Towns

Friday, June 19, 2015
Listening to music is a key element in my everyday life, and is sometimes influenced by what I read.  Although I am not one of those people who can listen to music while reading (because I get distracted really easily), I often find myself forming playlists when I hear a song or lyric that reminds me of book(s) I am currently reading or just finished.

Note: I do not own the rights to any of these songs, and these are strictly my own opinions on the books and music I mention.  The content of this post is solely for the purpose of entertainment and further enjoyment of mentioned book(s)/music.

A few months ago, I was traveling when reading Paper Towns by John Green, so I often alternated between reading and listening to music.  I just thought I'd share some of the songs on my Paper Towns playlist and explain why I chose them, and I may end up sharing more "bookish playlists" in the future.  I know that there is a new Paper Towns soundtrack coming out soon for the upcoming movie, however since the full soundtrack is not coming out until July 10 (and I already made this playlist a while ago), I figured I might as well share part of it.

About Paper Towns (via Goodreads): "Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues—and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew…"


WARNING: SPOILERS LIE AHEAD (READ AT YOUR OWN RISK).


1. Everything Has Changed (ft. Ed Sheeran) by Taylor Swift

This one is a pretty self-explanatory.  For one, if Paper Towns was its own solar system, Margo Roth Spiegelman would be the sun, and Q would be one of the closest orbiting planets.  Q is absolutely infatuated with the person/goddess that he believes Margo is, and Paper Towns revolves pretty much completely around Q's journey to discover Margo and who she really is.  Q has set this high standard for Margo and he realizes that he doesn't truly know Margo as well as he believes he does. 

2. Amsterdam by Imagine Dragons

3. Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down

I feel like Amsterdam represents Margo in many ways, and certain parts of Kryptonite as well.  Margo is an enigma that people believed they understood when they really didn't (and couldn't).  Margo was struggling to live up to everyone else's standards and felt as though the walls of her life were crumbling around her, and she just wanted to escape it all.

4. Daylight by Maroon 5

When Margo takes Q on an all-night whirlwind escapade, Q does not know that everything will be different the next day.  Although for this scene it is a platonic relationship for Margo and Q, I believe that Daylight ultimately captures the feelings between them nonetheless.  Q and Margo had an epic adventure that night, and neither seemed to want it to end.  That night they shared (as well as the day that followed), ultimately marked a turning point in their relationship and the immense changes to come.

5. Maps by Maroon 5

Can I just say that this is kind of like the epitome of this book?  I mean, maybe Q was not the greatest friend to Margo (considering the fact that he fell into the same category as everyone else when it came to expecting great things and expecting more out of Margo than she could handle), but I mean the whole plot of the book…


So there you have it--5 songs from my Paper Towns playlist!  I hoped you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed compiling it.  Do you ever create personal playlists for books, or am I the only one?

~Alexandra

No comments :

Post a Comment