YA LGBT+ Books Start Guide

Monday, June 13, 2016
Hi guys! I'm really excited to have Shelly from Read. Sleep. Repeat on my blog today to give some LGBT+ book recommendations for Pride Month!
__________________________________________________________________

Have you wanted to expand your reading list and make it more inclusive but aren’t sure where to start? Pride Month is the perfect time, but it can be stressful. There are so many books but so little time (the typical book lover problem). Here are some LGBT+ books that appeal to every reader:

Love beautiful writing? Try I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson. IGYTS explores the relationship between Jude and her twin brother, Noah. It’s beautifully written, will make you cry, and will make you clamor for another Jandy Nelson book.

For fans of suspenseful thrillers, I recommend Far From You by Tess Sharpe. A heartbreaking and mysterious story, I loved reading Sophie’s journey.

One of my favourite writers is David Levithan, and he has so many wonderful LGBT+ books. Because of his numerous titles, it’s hard to figure out where to begin. I personal recommend Every Day, as it wonderfully explores gender and love.

A title I see recommended almost all the time is Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz and I have to agree. While it does have a small romance, it is first and foremost about friendship and growing up. The writing is so beautiful and if you’re a Hamilton fan, Lin-Manuel Miranda narrates the audiobook!

A perfect summer read, Everything Leads to You is one Nina LaCour’s latest novels. Emi is a Hollywood set designer, and while her sets may be perfect, her love life isn’t. If you’re looking for a fun light-hearted read, I highly recommend this one!

If you love Harry Potter, get ready to read the latest from Rainbow Rowell. Carry On surrounds the story of Baz and Simon, two students at a wizarding school. It’s been described as a similar ship to Draco/Harry and I can totally see that comparison. If you’ve read Fangirl, you’ll recognize the characters! I will caution that Carry On does have some issues with bisexuality erasure.

Basically, you can't go wrong with any of these books.

2 comments :

  1. Carry On was so great! Loved that book, I do agree with the bi issue which I didn't think about when I read it. Great post with awesome books that I need to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all these recommendations! I especially enjoyed Ari and Dante's story (AND I LOVE THAT THEY'RE GETTING A SEQUEL OMG). <3 It was the first LGBTQ book I've read, and fell in love with it from first chapter. Carry On was also very fun!

    I've had I'll Give you the Sun on my TBR for the longest time... I MUST pick it up soon!

    - Aila One Way Or An Author

    ReplyDelete