Finding Cinderella (Review)

Monday, August 17, 2015
Finding Cinderella by Colleen Hoover
Series: Hopeless #2.5
Genre: New Adult/Contemporary/Novella
Page Length: 90 pages
Format: eBook

Spoiler Warning: possibility of minimal spoilers (nothing that the synopsis doesn't already spoil)


Until I picked up Finding Cinderella, I had never read any books by Colleen Hoover.  I am so glad I finally did, however, because Finding Cinderella was a very cute and fun read.  I wish it was a full-length novel, rather than a novella (or at least a longer novella) thought, since 1) I didn't want it to end, and 2) there were some things that I thought were missing that could have developed the story and characters more.

I absolutely loved the concept of the story.  Daniel and "Cinderella" have a chance encounter in a broom closet in their school, and they instantly click, without even knowing who the other is.  Their moments together are fleeting, but they make the most of it, giving each other a piece of their hearts, if only for a little while and even though they believed it was just an act.  I loved their relationship because it was open and genuine, without being too revealing.  They were in the dark together and had absolutely no idea who the other was, so the two characters bared their souls and just had to trust each other.

The story then shifts to Daniel a year later, while he's in a relationship with his controlling girlfriend.  Although I understand why Hoover jumps ahead to when things begin to change for Daniel, it is not extremely clear that he still has feelings for this "Cinderella" girl he barely knew and hasn't ever seen.  He only mentions "Cinderella" once or twice before he even pieces together who Cinderella actually is, and it bothered me just a bit.  If he's so infatuated with this fairytale he created for himself, why didn't he think of her more often?  It just didn't quite add up for me.

I really liked the idea of Daniel as a character, but there were quite a few things I had problems with.  He was extremely defensive of his girlfriend, one he himself despised, and when he found out about Cinderella's not-so-happy-ending, he completely lost his temper and it was totally unreasonable.  I understand people mess up, but he really just bothered me at times.  Also, as the narrator, I was surprised by how little Daniel seemed to share his feelings and thoughts.  It was difficult to see much of a character transformation because it was difficult to place his personality to begin with. He fell a little flat for me.

I absolutely loved Six.  She was spunky and a bit crazy, but she was also really vulnerable at times too. She seemed to be aware of her boundaries and her demons, and she seemed to be struggling to hold on at times.  All of these flaws, personality traits, and secrets, however, just added to her character and I respected her and the decisions she made, both in regard to her relationship to Daniel and in general.  She wasn't perfect by any means, and neither was Daniel, but I felt more for her than I did Daniel.  She just seemed fleshed out and real.

In terms of Daniel and Six's relationship, I thought it was absolutely adorable.  Their crazy antics were so much fun to read about, and their romantic moments were too cute.  Although they had their ups and downs, I really enjoyed reading about the development of their relationship.  And even though Daniel himself thought it was (as I like to call it)"the dreaded instalove", it really did seem genuine, as they did get to know each other and learned to accept each other for their flaws.  There was no "oh my gosh you're gorgeous I'm clearly in love with you" thing going on at all (like some relationships with instalove seem to have), and I appreciated that.

All in all, Finding Cinderella was an enjoyable read.  It was a quick novella that satisfied my hunger for a contemporary, but that was all; it satisfied, but did not wow.

Rating: ✪✪✪

About Finding Cinderella (via Goodreads):

A chance encounter in the dark leads eighteen-year-old Daniel and the girl who stumbles across him to profess their love for each other. But this love comes with conditions: they agree it will only last one hour and it will only be make-believe.

When their hour is up and the girl rushes off like Cinderella, Daniel tries to convince himself that what happened between them only seemed perfect because they were pretending it was perfect. Moments like that with girls like her don’t happen outside of fairytales.

One year and one bad relationship later, his disbelief in insta-love is stripped away the day he meets Six: a girl with a strange name and an even stranger personality. Daniel soon realizes the way he pretended to feel about Cinderella and the way he really feels about Six may not be so different after all. Especially when the two loves of his life end up being one in the same.

Unfortunately for Daniel, finding Cinderella doesn’t guarantee their happily ever after…it only further threatens it.

2 comments :

  1. This book seems like it's really character-driven, and it sounds wonderful. The romance and banter/shenanigans seem great!! A fun read, with great writing?! I need this book. Nice review :)

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! If you need a quick read you should definitely check it out! I basically read through it in one sitting :)

      Delete