Why I Love the Idea of Duologies

Wednesday, August 26, 2015
I love the idea of duologies, but I rarely ever see them anywhere. What ever happened to duologies? And I'm talking about true duologies, no offense to companion novels. Companion novels are great too, but they aren't the same. What seems to be popular these days are trilogies, series with four or more books, and companion novels. I do enjoy the excruciating pain of waiting for a new installment of a series, and I truly love the possibilities that multiple books gives the reader. Companion novels are a fun way to see a beloved world in a new light. However, I think duologies have just as much potential for amazingness, and they are really underrated and difficult to find.



I love the idea of duologies because they give you more, but not too much. Some books you just never want to end, so a duology is the perfect way to quench a reader's thirst for the story, its world and the characters. Don't get me wrong, I understand that sometimes books are written in a way that it is absolutely necessary to have more than two books. I get that, and I don't mind at all. In fact, some of my favorite books are part of a trilogy or series. But at the same time, there is usually that one book (at least in trilogies, anyway) that seems to lag behind the others; it's one that does not quite impress and wow as much. I do not wish to complain or wage war against trilogies, but there almost always seems to be that one part that seems... not unnecessary, exactly, but unnecessarily slow. Or just not up to the same standards. I think that duologies give us the perfect amount of story and world-building, plot, character development, and more without being over-the-top.

I love the idea of duologies because the story still seems fresh even after reading them. Certain series and trilogies are amazing no matter how many books, but in other cases the story just seems to go on forever. In certain cases, the books even become redundant. And it may sound similar to my "that one book that lags" comment, but it's not. I know this one series (I won't mention names) that just kept throwing new enemies and new heroes and new problems into the mix, just so the series would continue on. At first I continued reading it, eagerly anticipating each and every book. Then again, I was only ten at the time and didn't know better.

As much as I love books' worlds, you can't stay in them forever. Duologies give the perfect amount of time to meet the characters, decide if you hate or love them, learn about the world, meet the bad guys, destroy the bad guys (or die trying, if applicable), and (hopefully) live happily ever after. Short and sweet without being too short. A "Mama Bear" amount, if you will. Not too hot, not too cold, not too big, not too small, but just right.  You get to dip your feet in, even wade into the series' depths, and not worry about drowning.  Sometimes I feel obligated to finish a series, even if I feel like it could be wrapped up already; other times I can't even finish a series because that one book just lagged a bit too much.  Either way, both of those (the sense of obligation and lagging story) can make me feel like I'm drowning in words.

The only duologies I can think of are the following:
  1. The Wrath and the Dawn by Renée Ahdieh
  2. If I Stay by Gayle Forman
  3. To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
  4. An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
I'm sure there are a few more that I'm not thinking of, but if we were talking about trilogies I know I could go on forever...  Anyway, for all of these duologies listed above, I have only read the first of the two books.  However, I enjoyed all the books enough that I craved more, but happily will accept only one sequel.  And I think one sequel will be enough, based on the flow of the first book.  Two of these books are some of my absolute favorites, and the other two mentioned I did enjoy.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how these stories wrap up, and hope to see more duologies in the future!!


What do you think? Do you want to see more duologies in the future?
~Alexandra

12 comments :

  1. I hadn't thought about this, but you are right, I can't think of any more duologies. I feel like in fantasy, most of the times,you need more books, because there is world building, magic systems, character development, there's a lot of things that need to be explain. But maybe in other genres like contemporary, duologies could be a great option, because they give the reader more of the world and characters they love and at the same time the story doesn't drag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you mean! Fantasy worlds can be really complicated so you need more books to explore them. There have definitely been some fantasy and dystopian trilogies that could have been duologies though. I can definitely think of a few right away. But I definitely agree about contemporaries, although sometimes even a duology can be too much. It really depends on the contemporary :)

      Delete
  2. I'll be totally honest I like duologies because they're just short and you don't have to purchase 3 or 6 books! Even though my love for the Throne of Glass series is priceless, just imagine someone trying to buy all the books that are out now in hardback because they prefer that. That's like 100 or more dollars right there on one series. Well basically books should be put for lower prices haha. JOKES ON U BARNES & NOBLE! Just kidding. Also thanks for making me laugh like a hyena on my post earlier when you talked about autocorrecting. I wasn't sure anyone else noticed but I mentioned booklover like 100 times and it changed to baklava!! It's still happening here ugh!!! And duologies autocrrects into dialogues. So annoying :P

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That, my friend, was the secret reason why I wrote this post. Just kidding. I really do want more duologies. But you bring up a good point -- books are expensive, and as much as I love the idea of libraries, I hate returning books once I've fallen in love with them. I NEED THEM ALL

      Delete
  3. I love duologies as well because it seems to be the perfect length. There's no unnecessary romance conflict like in trilogy's book 2 nor is there any fluff. Duologies might tend to be a bit longer in page length than each trilogy book, but I think the quality is better for the most part in duologies. I just finished Landry Park and that duology was great!! Plus there's less wait time for books ;)

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree, Rachel! It's just the right amount, and there's not really enough room for protagonists to be really annoying with love triangles and stuff like that. And I definitely have to agree that duologies' quality is overall better :) I have heard a lot about Landry Park and have been meaning to read it! I'll definitely check it out as soon as I can. Thanks for sharing your thoughts :D

      Delete
  4. I didn't know AEitA is a duology!! Omg I'm even more excited now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think it changed a few months ago because it got so much love by readers :D

      Delete
  5. I love duologies too - I agree that it's nice to get more, but not have to read a TON of books. One duology that I read recently was Don't Get Mad by Gretchen McNeil. It felt a little bit like Pretty Little Liars, but it was refreshingly short with only two books!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I do know about those books actually! I started the first book a while back and really enjoyed it but never got around to finishing the first book (nor the sequel). I'll definitely give it another go when I get the chance :)

      Delete
  6. I've only read a few duologies lately, since most series come as trilogies, like you said. But I'm definitely the same as you - I actually love duologies! Most of them don't feel like the story's being dragged on and on towards nowhere, and it almost always has something interesting going on. Plus, you only have to wait one more year before the last book comes out. xD

    Great post, Alexandra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mara! And that's a good point! Not as much waiting time to find out what happens in the end :)

      Delete