Waiting on Wednesday (17)

Wednesday, October 7, 2015
Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that you are eagerly anticipating.


Rules For 50/50 Chances by Kate McGovern
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Page Length: 352 pages
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Publication Date: November 24, 2015

Via Goodreads: A heartrending but ultimately uplifting debut novel about learning to accept life's uncertainties; a perfect fit for the current trend in contemporary realistic novels that confront issues about life, death, and love.

Seventeen-year-old Rose Levenson has a decision to make: Does she want to know how she’s going to die? Because when Rose turns eighteen, she can take the test that will tell her if she carries the genetic mutation for Huntington’s disease, the degenerative condition that is slowly killing her mother. With a fifty-fifty shot at inheriting her family’s genetic curse, Rose is skeptical about pursuing anything that presumes she’ll live to be a healthy adult—including going to ballet school and the possibility of falling in love. But when she meets a boy from a similarly flawed genetic pool, and gets an audition for a dance scholarship in California, Rose begins to question her carefully-laid rules.
 


~

I have really been craving contemporary reads lately, and this one just seems like a really interesting story.  The story sounds  like a few that I've enjoyed in the past, but it is unique enough to catch my attention.  (And the cover is beautiful!  It may be a bit morbid with the skull, but at the same time I love the contrast between the black heart and white skull.  I feel like it really captures the idea of the story.)  Really excited for this one!!

8 comments :

  1. AHH. This sounds absolutely amazing and so emotional! Definitely excited to give it a try when it releases. :) Thanks for putting this under my radar Alexandra and, as always, fabulous choice! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zoe!! I'm really excited for the book too! Let me know if/when you read it and tell me what you think!

      Delete
  2. I need to read more contemporary. I got into it a bit during the summer but have faded back to my default of fantasy. However, this book sounds really good! I've never heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here!! I love pretty much all genres, but my favorite genre lately has been fantasy (especially high fantasy) so I've been neglecting my contemporary reading. This book looks really interesting, although it was by chance that I stumbled upon it. (My interest in the book has actually grown within the past few weeks since I am required to write an essay on a similar topic--the idea of choosing to know whether you have a genetic disease or not early in your life--for one of my classes this term.)

      Delete
  3. OMG this book is what I absolutely need right now! I can sense a heartbreaking scene, romance, and a cliffhanger for some strange reason. HAHA. And the cover is absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing about this book because now I'm so excited for this one! I'll definitely add it to my TBR :)

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I'm glad you want to read it. Definitely let me know what you think when you get the chance to read it! And I totally agree the cover is amazing!

      Delete
  4. I'm not generally a huge contemporary fan, but this book sounds good! Maybe this will be a contemporary that I'll like! The cover is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try it out (and definitely let me know what you think!)

      Delete