5 Blog Pet Peeves

Thursday, September 10, 2015
Although I am still really new to blogging, I have been reading blogs for several years, and I thought I'd share some of my blog pet peeves or turn-offs. I will ignore these things (except for 1 and 2) if the content is that amazing, but otherwise these things can often drive me absolutely nuts.

1-2. Grammar and Typos

Bad grammar is one of my biggest my pet peeves in general, but in terms of blogging, if I can't read through it and know what someone's talking about, or if a person just doesn't understand the difference between tenses or how to use different words with different pronouns (among many other things), I just can't read it without shuddering. I'm sorry. It just drives me completely and utterly nuts. And as for typos, I can deal with an occasional typo here or there, but honestly? It's a blog. Online. There is something called spell-check. And of course there's also proofreading. I highly recommend it. I'm not saying I don't get lazy sometimes and don't proofread, but it really does help catch typos or any grammar mistakes you may have accidentally made in the writing or editing process. I know I've had my fair share of weird grammar issues because I had edited a post and forgot to take out a word or two...

3. Font

I know we all get extremely excited about books sometimes and JUST WANT TO USE CAPS TO EXPRESS OUR EXCITEMENT (!) but if posts are in all caps (all the time), chances are I'm not going to read it, or at least not read it as often. It is not that I don't like those fonts that capitalize/bold words, but I'd recommend using them as blog headers or supplementary fonts, rather than using them for the body of blog posts/texts. Something about it just messes with my head and gives me trouble reading it.

4. Blog layout

This is a really important one. I've found some blogs are extremely narrow with extremely wide side columns. For me, I'd prefer a wider body with what appears to be smaller chunks of text. From an aesthetic standpoint (and a scrolling standpoint), it looks less intimidating. Another issue with this is that half of the time the side columns are wide and barely have anything in them to necessitate said columns. By this, I mean these columns have maybe one or two bits of information in them (like a brief bio or blog archive), and really do not need all the extra space.

5. Background

This one isn't a huge deal, but sometimes blogs just have these bright colored backgrounds, and it just gets really distracting for me. I know I had an issue with this earlier on in my blogging "career" (if you can even call it that yet), as I had chosen this hideously bubblegum pink background for my blog, but once I realized how bad it was, I guess I started noticing other people's as well.


What are your blogging pet peeves (if any)? Do you avoid reading some blogs for a specific reason?
~Alexandra

2 comments :

  1. I agree with all of your points, especially the background one! I try to base my opinion on the blog on content and not what it looks like, but it's true that if the background is bright or distracting it's hard to enjoy reading it. Grammar is a big one for me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jade! I totally agree about basing thoughts on content mostly, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who has trouble with backgrounds getting distracting :)

      Delete