On ARCs

Tuesday, September 1, 2015
*I know this is not a particularly unique topic, but it is an important one nonetheless, and I would like to it. I do not know specifics, and if I did, I would not share the information anyway. This post is not meant to harm or hurt anyone’s feelings (and shouldn’t hurt anyone’s feelings) but is rather my own humble opinion.

A book bloggers, we are dedicated to books. Many of us joined this community to share our love of books and find new ones to love; we have joined this community to meet like-minded people who love what we do. That’s the reason I joined, anyway. It has come to my attention, however, that some bloggers feel as though they have a right—a prerogative, if you will—to ARCs. Yes, our blogs are dedicated to spreading the word for books we love, and yes, it is lovely to receive early, advanced copies of books we were anticipating in order to spread the love even more. But as bloggers, should we not see this opportunity as a privilege? I recently heard from a blogger friend that other bloggers feel so entitled to these ARCs that they would stop blogging if they stopped receiving them. As a new blogger, I have yet to request any ARCs, but ARCs or no ARCs, I would still blog. I would still blog because I care enough about books and am passionate enough about the subject that I want others to enjoy it too.

To those people who feel entitled to ARCs and claim they would stop blogging if they stopped receiving ARCs, I have some questions for you. Do you not love books alone enough that blogging, ARCs or no ARCs, is worth it? Do you not find sheer joy in discussing books you love (and sometimes fighting over swoony romantic interests) to continue? Do you not, even just a little, enjoy it because you make friends? Do you care that much more about ARCs and flaunting them in people’s faces than the friendships and community you have because of your blogging career?  I know I love books and want friends enough to continue to pursue my blog, whether my requests for ARCs are accepted or not.

As I said before, I joined this community to share my love of books and meet like-minded people. And to quote Beca from Pitch Perfect, “Love you, awesome nerds.” I’d like to say that that applies to every book nerd out there, but people who feel entitled?  I’m sorry, but even if they are extremely good people at heart, I’m going to have to say the way they’re using their blogs is disrespectful.

Do they think they’re doing authors/publishers/etc. a favor? Perhaps they are, but there are plenty of other bloggers who are grateful for every ARC and book they receive, who do not just expect the ARCs to fall into their laps. I am not by any means saying that they don’t work for the ARCs like everyone else, but doing all the work solely so they can receive the ARCs? I just don’t find that right.

I think that it is absolutely wonderful that publishers produce advanced reader’s copies. I love that we have a chance to experience books—a thing dear to our hearts—before anyone else.  But above all, we have to recognize that it is a privilege, not a right. For the love of books, be grateful: for books, for authors, for ARCs, for this wonderful community, for everything that makes this possible and for everything that makes blogging special. Blog because of your love of books. Blog because you want to. Blog because you love to share your opinions and find out others’.


~Alexandra

6 comments :

  1. I love the community and my passion for reading regardless of if I get ARCS or not. Sure they are really great to get and there is a certain place u have to be in order to attain them. If you've just started your blog for the benefit of getting ARCS and go to publishers with your blog that has only been running for three days, they'll turn you down and won't be happy. I get the appeal and everything but sometimes it's nice to be excited about something for a while. I was goingt to write my own ARC post because I know a lot of people have opinions on this. I have a lot of blogger friends that receive ARCS but it's mostly the Youtubers because I know some people don't take time to read blogs and rather watch videos on Youtube. That's mainly why I switched the Youtube because well I was looking for a greater outlet. Thanks for the wonderful post

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! I definitely agree that it's fun to have ARCs but it can sometimes be even more fun anticipating the book's release. I'd love to see an ARC post from you! :) I'm really curious to see everyone else's thoughts on them because it definitely seems to be a major part of book blogging for some people. I know what you mean about the BookTubers. I do enjoy watching them occasionally and know a lot of people prefer watching a video, but I actually prefer reading bogs most of the time :D I can see the appeal of videos though.

      Delete
  2. I don't ever request arcs. I prefer reading whatever I want without the pressure to have to review something. There are so many great books already published that I won't ever read everything I'd like to. I don't need to add the pressure to always be reading the newest thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of requesting ARCs, but I definitely agree that it's nice to just read without worrying about reviewing all the time. And like you, I also like to read "older" books since I seem to get really behind on reading.

      Delete
  3. I pretty much only get ARCs from NetGalley and events like BEA, but honestly, it doesn't upset me that much when people say that they blog for ARCs. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but if there are some people who really blog specifically for the perk of getting free books ... well, so? It doesn't hurt me in any way shape or form, so I guess I don't see why it matters. People have different motivations behind their blogs, and that's okay with me. Now, I guess if those people were putting out sub-par content or being really spiteful about the fact that they get ARCs and others don't (and when I say this, I mean doing more than just tweeting about the ARCs they got - publishers want people to see the books they send, so it doesn't bother me when people tweet a thank you) then I'd be upset, but I honestly have never really run across this. I'm sorry if you have! That's just my two cents, but I kind of respectfully disagree in this case. (At least I hope I did it respectfully - I meant to!)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely see your points, Nicole. I guess it isn't as much the fact that they do it for ARCs as much as the fact that they do it for ARCs and get defensive and spiteful sometimes. (Because there are people like that.) So I guess you're right and I guess my main issue is people with bad attitudes that somehow get ARCs and think it's okay to flaunt them in people's faces and act mean/superior to others because of it.

      Delete