UPDATED DISCUSSION: Final Thoughts of a First-Time Rereader

Friday, September 4, 2015
In June, I tried to reread Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas and ended up putting aside the reread. I wrote a post about rereading and my thoughts as a first-time rereader, which you can view here. Although my fears have remained the same (see below), my thoughts so far have vastly changed since I first tried rereading the book. Now that I am almost done rereading Throne of Glass, I thought I would share my final thoughts on my rereading experience.

The Main Reasons I Don't Reread:

1) I already know what happens so it is not as exciting and interesting
2) I am worried that I will not feel the same way about the book the second/third/fourth/etc. time around
3) See #2 except applied to my feelings/opinions about the characters
4) I have an overwhelming TBR as it is and it is a "waste of time" (for lack of a better term) to read something I've already read when I can read something new
5) After reading it the first time, I may have discovered a book/books that I liked better (so when I reread it, I will not enjoy it as much as the first time around/it will pale in comparison to other reads

FINAL THOUGHTS ON REREADING:

The first time I tried rereading Throne of Glass, I had just finished A Court of Thorns and Roses, and was still in a bit of a book hangover. Picking up Throne of Glass for my second attempt at rereading only seemed logical because Queen of Shadows was coming out and I needed to catch up. Anyway, my view on rereading (and my view of Throne of Glass) has greatly changed. I guess I'll address my feelings toward reareading Throne of Glass by addressing the 5 main reasons I don't reread.

1. I read Throne of Glass for the first time back when it came out THREE YEARS AGO. So my main reason for not rereading was completely invalid. I thought I remembered what happened, but it turns out I only knew the very basic plot, and completely forgot about some major details. If I tried to read the second and third books before rereading Throne of Glass, I think I would have truly been lost. Or at least a little lost.

2. I don't feel the same way about Throne of Glass. Except unlike what I thought, I actually like it better. I am definitely more engrossed and seem to be enjoying the book more than when I read it back in 2012.

3. In addition to not feeling the same way about the book and story in general, my feelings have changed slightly toward the characters. I used to absolutely HATE Chaol with a burning passion, and although I am still not keen about his existence, this hate has begun to diminish. (Let's see how long that lasts though.) I have yet to decide whether this is a good or bad thing.

4. Most of my TBR consists of series, so I guess it isn't a waste of time to reread a book in order to catch up on the rest of the series and essentially eliminate books from my TBR. Also, I guess it's not a waste of time if you reread a book you like/love because you know you'll enjoy it, rather than a book that may only be okay... To be honest, I'm not sure if this reason to not reread should be valid.

5. It's hard to say if this one is applicable or not because Throne of Glass was never my all-time favorite book to begin with. I enjoy it very much, but it has never been at the very top for me. Also, I'm in the midst of reading a bunch of assigned reading books, so I'm obviously (?) not going to enjoy those as much as books that I can choose for myself, such as Throne of Glass.



~Alexandra

10 comments :

  1. Instead of re-reading, I've taken up listening to books I've read already. This way I can read newer books and "re-read" old books. :) I just did a review of Outlander this week. I listened to it (again) this spring.

    Terri M., the Director
    Second Run Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! I never thought of listening to books instead of rereading! :) Unfortunately I am not super familiar with audiobooks (aka I've never listened to one before), so I'm not sure if it would be worth it to spend money on an audio copy when I already have a physical copy of the book. But thank you for sharing your thoughts and I'm glad that audiobooks work for you :)

      Delete
  2. I don't usually re-read either, because with the never ending TBR pile, like you said, is somewhat a "waste of time" unless I'm just reading for my own leisure. I feel like we change so much between release dates of books; I used to love a JLA series, the Dark Elements, but now I really dislike it and all the flaws are so noticeable, like how was I so blinded by the romance before to see them lol (because I read the Dark Elements like two years ago). I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE Throne of Glass as well (at least the first two books, HoF was a bit bland in my opinion) but right now I'm reading Queen of Shadows and a LOT has changed. It's ruining the series, and it's ruining some characters, especially Aelin/Celaena. I'm not sure if I disliked Aelin as much as I hate her now in QoS, she's bitchy, vicious, cruel, and kills/harms more than necessary "just because she's in a pissy mood". I don't know if you'll like it, but I really hope you enjoy QoS more than I do though. It's amazing how much we can change...Lol sorry for going on a rant :P Lovely post! <3

    Olivia @ Fictionally Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Olivia!! That's the reason I've never really reread books either... Although sometimes I guess it's nice to realize that a book... isn't as good as you thought? I mean, I guess sometimes we don't realize how caught up with the characters/romance/etc. we are and it's nice to see the book from a different light (although sometimes it isn't fun to realize you don't like a book as much as you did before). It's hard to say. I've heard so many mixed reviews about Queen of Shadows and I'm just about to start Crown of Midnight for the first time, so hopefully the series will live up to my expectations :)

      Delete
  3. I usually don't reread either! I feel like maybe I will reread the Grisha trilogy someday because it was SO amazing and it wasn't that long of a series, but it's nothing I would make a habit of doing. Like you said, I like to be surprised when I read things and it's not as exciting the second time around. Also it's the same reason I don't like to watch reruns for television shows, right?

    www.novelsandnecklaces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh I need to read the Grisha trilogy... I started the first one but have been trying to catch up with Throne of Glass so I haven't gotten around to finishing it yet. I'm glad to hear it's as good as everyone says :) I agree with the TV show thing, but I guess (like books) it ultimately depends on which book or show, and how long it's been since you read that book or seen that specific episode :)

      Delete
  4. I love that you tried re-reading and then revisited your thoughts on it - this is the best way for us to learn!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  5. I re-read constantly as a kid, which I think it pretty typical. Now the only re-reading I do is when I read a book to my own kids that I remember from my childhood. I can only think of a few "adult" books I've read more than once: To Kill a Mockingbird, some Dickens, some Hardy, some Jane Austen, and The River Why by David James Duncan. I too feel like there is so much more to read, and I have fears of ruining a reading memory by bringing my crabby, middle aged self to some books that shook my world when I was a bit younger. I tell you what though--I read so much that my memory for books is terrible, so I probably could re-read without losing much of the surprise! At this point, re-reading would solidify my memory of and familiarity with books I really care about. Hmm, now I've talked myself into trying it! Maybe with Hunger Games or the Lunar Chronicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I love To Kill a Mockingbird! I may pick that one back up some time soon :) And I think you definitely should reread again! The Hunger Games is a good choice, and I'm sure the Lunar Chronicles series is as well (although it is still on my TBR). Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete